Nasir El-Rufai, Governor of Kaduna State, said he is “confident” that the Abuja-Kaduna expressway, noted for the incessant abductions over the years, is now safe for travellers to ply.
Governor El-Rufai made this assertion to journalists after visiting President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, on Monday.
According to the governor, the security measures being implemented by Mohammed Adamu, the acting Inspector General of Police, and other security agencies are paying dividends.
He said: “I came to see Mr. President, to brief him on the general security situation in Kaduna, which I do from time to time.
“And also to update him on the various initiatives by the Inspector-General of Police, SSS and the Armed Forces, with a view to improving the security situation in Kaduna in general, and particularly along the Kaduna-Abuja Road.
“I want to say here that the initiatives put in place have made the road quite safe now. Anyone can get on that road now.
“I don’t want to go into details of the measures that have already been put in place, but I’m confident of the security measures in place now, so that anyone can be confident to get on the Abuja-Kaduna road now.”
Governor El-Rufai, who made a subtle reference to the comments of Senator Shehu Sani, the lawmaker representing Kaduna Central senatorial district, who criticised the state of security on the expressway, said the expressway would remain safe if the measures currently implemented are retained.
“No matter what anyone said last week, I am assuring Nigerians that Kaduna-Abuja road is quite safe now; and will be, so long as the initiatives put in place by the various security agents continue to be in place, details of which I am not willing to disclose,” he said.